Re: [groff] 22/40: [devpdf]: Do more explicit work and less magic.

From: Deri
Subject: Re: [groff] 22/40: [devpdf]: Do more explicit work and less magic.
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 22:34:43 +0000

On Saturday, 12 November 2022 20:16:21 GMT Deri wrote:
> On Saturday, 12 November 2022 19:43:38 GMT G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> > gbranden pushed a commit to branch master
> > in repository groff.
> >
> > commit 254e13c387a7fdd0267fac697737b5862c0851ad
> > Author: G. Branden Robinson <g.branden.robinson@gmail.com>
> > AuthorDate: Wed Nov 9 10:28:32 2022 -0600
> >
> >     [devpdf]: Do more explicit work and less magic.
> >
> >     * font/devpdf/devpdf.am (devpdffont_DATA): Add all of the PostScript
> >
> >       Level 2 base 35 font descriptions (from the default foundry).  Also
> >       add the "EURO" font description file and the "FreeEuro" PFA and AFM
> >       files, making these explicit targets and dependencies.
> >
> >       (devpdffont_DATA) [HAVE_URW_FONTS]: Also add the URW foundry's
> >       version
> >
> > of the base 35 fonts.
> >
> >       (font/devpdf/freeeuro.afm): Add new target, a simple file copy from
> >       the devps font directory.
> >
> >       (font/devpdf/EURO): Generate font description file from the devps
> >       font
> >
> > directory.
> >
> >       (font/devpdf/freeeuro.pfa): Add new target, a simple file copy from
> >       the devps font directory.
> >
> >       (MOSTLYCLEANFILES): Clean freeeuro.{afm,pfa}.
> >
> > ---
> >

> And this one please.
>
> Cheers
>
> Deri

Hi Branden,

You have told me that this fixes the build problem that gropdf could not find
the freeeuro.pfa file, although it works once installed, and I am sure it does
fix the build issue, but it is a very big hammer to crush a small walnut! It
even alters the installed environment completely unnecessary to fix a build
issue.

I diagnosed the problem was because the path to freeeuro.pfa used a path of
../devps and because of a quirk in the build system the freeeuro files were
never promoted to the devps build directory but installed directly from the
source directory. All that was required was for the freeeuro files be treated
exactly the same as the symbolsl.pfa file, i.e. promoted during build and then
installed from build. This would be a very minor tweak to the devps build,
rather than changing multiple files in the devpdf directory.

I can't see the benefit in all these changes.

Cheers

Deri