Re: [groff] 22/40: [devpdf]: Do more explicit work and less magic.

From: Deri
Subject: Re: [groff] 22/40: [devpdf]: Do more explicit work and less magic.
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 00:12:40 +0000

On Wednesday, 16 November 2022 23:04:52 GMT G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> I don't see why "rm -rf /usr/share/groff/1.23.0/font/devps" should cause
> "groff -Tpdf" to fail or behave differently in any way.  Do you?
>
> Regards,
> Branden

Hi Branden,

I love your little jokes. :-)

If you do the rm you suggest, groff won't fail, well it will if you run groff
without a -T option. The sole difference is you will not be able to use
freeeuro with pdf but there are plenty of better glyph alternatives. You will
have a much more serious problem, man -t will not work at all.

In my mind grops is the senior service, gropdf the illegitimate child, because
grops is a dependency of the man program. This is why nearly everyone packages
grops as part of core groff package (required if you install man) and gropdf
is consigned to the full fat groff package. So in reality you will find grops
without gropdf, but never t’other way round.

And if you are using rm -rf as the root user you deserve to find out that
things can be a bit different, you naughty boy.

Cheers

Deri