Re: [groff] 22/40: [devpdf]: Do more explicit work and less magic.

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: [groff] 22/40: [devpdf]: Do more explicit work and less magic.
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 17:04:52 -0600

Hi Deri,

At 2022-11-16T22:34:43+0000, Deri wrote:
> You have told me that this fixes the build problem that gropdf could
> not find the freeeuro.pfa file, although it works once installed, and
> I am sure it does fix the build issue, but it is a very big hammer to
> crush a small walnut! It even alters the installed environment
> completely unnecessary to fix a build issue.

While I was there I noticed that it was possible to achieve a decoupling
of devps and devpdf support.  That seemed worth doing for the sake of
cleanliness and orthogonality.

> I diagnosed the problem was because the path to freeeuro.pfa used a
> path of ../devps and because of a quirk in the build system the
> freeeuro files were never promoted to the devps build directory but
> installed directly from the source directory. All that was required
> was for the freeeuro files be treated exactly the same as the
> symbolsl.pfa file, i.e. promoted during build and then installed from
> build. This would be a very minor tweak to the devps build,

I certainly don't mind having a look at that, so I will.

> rather than changing multiple files in the devpdf directory.
>
> I can't see the benefit in all these changes.

I don't see why "rm -rf /usr/share/groff/1.23.0/font/devps" should cause
"groff -Tpdf" to fail or behave differently in any way.  Do you?