Re: gropdf landscape orientation support (was: [groff] 04/40: [gropdf]:

From: Deri
Subject: Re: gropdf landscape orientation support (was: [groff] 04/40: [gropdf]: Provide more info in diagnostic message.)
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 21:29:43 +0000

On Thursday, 17 November 2022 18:43:53 GMT G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> Just to make sure I understand: you are saying that the "-P-l" option to
> groff is unnecessary if "pdf" is the output device and the paper format
> is suffixed with "l" (case-insensitively)?
>
> I confess to some uncertainty about the wisdom of this, since there is
> already a "-l" option recognized across most typesetting output drivers
> for using landscape orientation.  It thus seems that the possibility
> arises for a conflict between DWIM and taking the user literally.  E.g.,
> should "-P -p -P legall -P -l" result in a portrait orientation of U.S.
> legal paper?

Hi Branden,

In papersize.tmac I see this in a comment:-

  groff -Tps -dpaper=a4l -P-pa4 -P-l -ms foo.ms > foo.ps

So concept of reversing width height by appending an l has already been used
in groff.

There is a fundamental difference between -p a4 -l and -p a4l. The first is a
portrait medium where all strokes to the page are transformed through 90
degrees. The second is a landscape medium with no transformation applied to
the strokes. If you consider landscape printing A5 paper on an A4 printer, you
can load the paper in two orientations, one way round will require stroke
rotation, but none the other way.

The example above could be written:-

  groff -Tpdf -dpaper=a4l -P-pa4l -ms foo.ms > foo.ps

I hope you have grasped the difference. If you examine the contents of the pdf
produced you will see substantial differences even though they may look the
same on the screen. You might like to think about whether -dpaper= should
trigger an appropriate \X'papersize' if output is pdf, which would ensure both
groff and gropdf are singing from the same hymn book.

Cheers

Deri