Re: Why isn't the device resolution exposed to the formatter?

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Why isn't the device resolution exposed to the formatter?
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 10:53:57 -0600

At 2022-11-18T13:29:47+1100, John Gardner wrote:
> > an *embolus* in my brain
>
> $ echo "embolus" >> ~/Words-that-Branden-taught-me.txt
> $ cat $_
> inimical, inimicable: harmful; hostile
[...]

In the spirit of full disclosure, I don't think the latter form is a
standard English word.  I don't recall using it, but if I did, it may
have been a nonce; I was punning on someone's inimitably inimical
nature; or I was simply temporarily(?) demented.

If you want an expanded vocabulary, masterful writing, strident
opinions, and many pointers to further reading, I cannot but suggest the
essays of Christopher Hitchens, who prompted me to create a similar list
of words new to me (but which I have now misplaced--sigh).  Many people
get hung on up on whether he should be recommended or even read based on
the content of his opinions; that's beside the point.  Great writing is
great writing, and if one wants to argue with the author as one goes,
mentally practicing one's ripostes makes one a better reader anyway.

Bad writing need not be proscribed by gatekeepers; anyone may feel free
to give it a glimpse and appreciate its negligible worth with minimal
time lost; excellent writing rewards as much time as one invests.

groff's purpose is to aid the transmission of written language, and
we ill serve its legacy when we distract ourselves with how best to
polish marble statues of the Unix operating system and its progenitors.