Re: How to contribute

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: How to contribute
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2023 13:26:01 +0100

Hi Michał,

> Where do I need to register?

For any significant contribution in copyright terms, you'll have to sign
an assignment of copyright of your work to the FSF and it's GNU groff.

    https://www.fsf.org/licensing/contributor-faq

That put me off.

    Alas, groff's requirement for copyright assignment to the FSF ruled
    out contributions from me many years ago after the FSF's legal
    counsel confirmed they'd hold partial copyright on a non-groff work
    which contained code of copyrightable expression if I later used it
    in groff; the order in time doesn't matter.  The FSF want 100%
    ownership to enforce copyright but deny 100% ownership of that
    earlier work in doing so.

        — https://www.mail-archive.com/groff@gnu.org/msg15539.html

--
Cheers, Ralph.