Re: How to contribute

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: How to contribute
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 22:51:02 -0500

[self-follow-up]

At 2023-06-03T09:47:13-0500, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> On the other hand, many years ago when I stopped merely listening to
> what everybody said about the FSF, and started digging into the
> copyright details of various GNU packages, I found more flexibility
> there than I had been led to expect--even around the year 2000, when
> the floor was still slick with blood spilled over the EGCS fork, the
> EGLIBC fork, and the Lucid Emacs fork.

My history got a little muddled here.  The EGLIBC fork came later.[1]
And, to put it colorfully, it was much more a reaction to Ulrich
Drepper's iron fist than RMS's.  (Whatever one thinks of his management
style, Drepper's papers on memory[2] and dynamic shared objects (DSOs;
popularly, "shared libraries")[3] are well worth a systems programmer's
attention.)

[1] https://lwn.net/Articles/333755/
[2] https://www.akkadia.org/drepper/cpumemory.pdf
[3] https://akkadia.org/drepper/dsohowto.pdf