Re: bitmaps in groff documents

From: Douglas McIlroy
Subject: Re: bitmaps in groff documents
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 06:59:55 -0400

>> Does anyone have a recipe for including a bitmap image in a groff
>> document? I wish to assure that on a raster-printing device the bitmap
>> is appropriately aligned with that of the device.

> There is a PSPIC macro which is part of the MM macros (groff_mm) which I
> use to pull in a picture.

I use PSPIC regularly.  It is capable of scaling images, but this is
not the same as aligning bitmaps. I  would like to assure that a
1000x1000 bitmap, say, occupies exactly 1000x1000 pixels on the
display, regardless of the physical size of a pixel. A misaligned
bitmap produces unwanted artifacts such as. Moiré patterns.

Of course, on a very high resolution device 1000x1000 pixels may be an
extreme eye test, but I can deal with that if necessary.

Doug