Re: bitmaps in groff documents

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: bitmaps in groff documents
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2023 12:21:29 +0100

Hi Doug,

> I would like to assure that a 1000x1000 bitmap, say, occupies exactly
> 1000x1000 pixels on the display, regardless of the physical size of a
> pixel.

What's the output device?

There's the .H and .V number registers which give the output device's
resolution in basic units.

But a bigger problem might be the route from output device to eyeball.
If it's PDF to X Windows, say, then many installations now treat a
screen as 96 DPI.  An easy test is using a PDF viewer to show a piece of
‘paper’ of known size at 100% and measuring its width on screen.

http://wok.oblomov.eu/tecnologia/mixed-dpi-x11/ covers the mess.

--
Cheers, Ralph.