Re: bitmaps in groff documents

From: Deri
Subject: Re: bitmaps in groff documents
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2023 18:12:46 +0100

On Sunday, 4 June 2023 15:15:09 BST G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> Hi Doug,

> > > There is a PSPIC macro which is part of the MM macros (groff_mm)
> > > which I use to pull in a picture.
> >
> > I use PSPIC regularly.  It is capable of scaling images, but this is
> > not the same as aligning bitmaps. I  would like to assure that a
> > 1000x1000 bitmap, say, occupies exactly 1000x1000 pixels on the
> > display, regardless of the physical size of a pixel. A misaligned
> > bitmap produces unwanted artifacts such as. Moiré patterns.
> >
> > Of course, on a very high resolution device 1000x1000 pixels may be an
> > extreme eye test, but I can deal with that if necessary.
>
> There doesn't appear to be a troff drawing command for this purpose, and
> no groff device control command tag for it, either.  Maybe it would be a
> nice thing to have.

The problem is that you have insufficient control over the viewer which
displays your document.
Certainly you can embed a 1000x1000 image into a postscript or pdf file which
will contain
exactly that number of data points, but it also has a physical size in
proportion to the actual
media size. So if your picture occupies a quarter of the page when you view it
in a viewer, the
actual number of screen pixels used for the picture will depend on many
variables over which
you have no control, screen dpi, viewer zoom level, size of viewer window on
the screen.

So the short answer is that I don't think it can be done. If possible it is
better to use vector
graphics if at all possible for diagrams or figures in a document.

Cheers

Deri