Re: Should temporary indentation be ignored when centering?

From: Damian McGuckin
Subject: Re: Should temporary indentation be ignored when centering?
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 13:02:14 +1000 (AEST)

Thanks. I agree that the incorrect statement should be deleted.

On Sat, 3 Jun 2023, G. Branden Robinson wrote:

What is your use case for employing temporary indentation while
centering?

It;s probably a bit abnormal but it is not wrong. Weird maybe. I have used it that way once or twice in a decade. But normally I use a '-mm' display (.DS) so it never affects me. That said, I have a '.ti' in my letterhead (but not within a centered block) so I use '.ti' every day.

Note: a negative '.ti' says go the left of the margin and so is a NO-OP.

I think if groff handles '.ti' within a '.ce' sequence in a certain way, and others like heirloom troff do it the same way, keep the behaviour. No point is fixing a bug that does not exist. Your valuable time is better spent fixing real bugs. Yes, the fact that you have to double the argument '.ti' to get what you want, that is a bug. But it is a consistent bug, so why worry. Maybe that needs documentation. I must admit that I have always played with the indentation amount to get the right affect so I probably never really noticed. It is a bit like spaces in 'eqn', tweak until OK.

My 2c - Damian