Matrix Column Vertical Spacing

From: Damian McGuckin
Subject: Matrix Column Vertical Spacing
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 12:21:47 +1000 (AEST)

It has been said by someone more knowledgable than I that:

        A critical property of the 'matrix' construct is that elements in
        a row are aligned, which is not necessarily true in a sequence of
        piles. The point is that vertical spacing in columns is adjusted
        in concert, .....

I am not convinced that EQN does this very well currently.

See the attached.  When I have two entries in the same row, one

        0

and the other a term like

        { partial x } over { partial r }

which have a big height difference, they are poorly spaced vertically.

See my example matrix A (both troff & PDF) for the problem matrix.

The matrix B is better aligned but I had to seriously mess with fake (unpadded space) subscripts and superscripts to achieve this.

The example C tries to imitate the spacing this is expected in A.

It is the same with either -ms or -mm.

Is this urgent?  Probably not.

Thanks - Damian