Re: italic corrections on synthesized slanted lowercase Greek letters on

From: Deri
Subject: Re: italic corrections on synthesized slanted lowercase Greek letters on the pdf device (was: Using -Tpdf rather than -Tps and then ps2pdf)
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 18:06:54 +0100

On Friday, 30 June 2023 16:26:51 BST G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> Hi Deri,
>
> At 2023-06-30T16:09:55+0100, Deri wrote:
> > On Friday, 30 June 2023 15:43:49 BST Dave Kemper wrote:
> > > Are any of the solutions put forth in this thread suitable for
> > > commit to groff git (obviously not on master till it's unfrozen)?
> > > They don't appear to have been pushed to any of the branches.  And I
> > > don't see a savannah ticket for the issue.
> >
> > I have the "best" solution on my branch which will be pushed as a
> > public branch at some point. Best, in that it does not do any
> > synthesis at all. It is a real type 1 font, so includes the italic
> > corrections within the SS font which groff can use while typesetting,
> > and means gropdf will produce the closest output to grops.
>
> I'd like to reiterate my invitation to push this branch at any time.  A
> branch cannot mess up the mainline ("master") or frustrate the release
> in any way.
>
> The exciting stuff you have queued will, I think, will help attract
> renewed attention to groff.
>
> Regards,
> Branden

Hi Branden,

There are two items holding it up. The little announcement document which you
offered to help with needs a "Known Issues" section to document that named
destinations (i.e. created by .pdfhref M -N name or .HEADING NAMED name in
mom, for example) has to be given in ascii, special characters such as those
produced by preconv cause an issue. The text associated with the link can
include special characters, the restriction is solely on the target name.

The other item is the subject of this email, I have the .pfb file, the SS font
file sitting in the font/devpdf directory, and I know the line which needs to
be added to download, and if I add them manually to build/font/devpdf test-
groff serves up the test equation you provided lovely. You know me and
Makefiles - hopeless - I just can't get it to copy the files to the build
directory and from there to the install directory, I'm hopeless!

Cheers

Deri