guix-devel

Re: Next steps

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Next steps
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 22:28:09 +0200

Hi Sahithi,

> I think I am done with basic changes for 4th task. File is attached. As
> mentioned in IRC output is in escape code sequence when I tried in REPL.

Great.  Please change ui.scm directly and send a patch that can be
applied to the wip-sahithi branch.

Please also pay attention to these things:

* indent the lines properly (Emacs does the right thing when you hit TAB)
* don’t leave extraneous comments or dead code
* make sure long expressions are broken up

>> I am done with 2nd task out of given 4 tasks and that was included in my
>> previous patch.
>> I am currently working on 4th task.
> I am able to filter lines.
> I am trying out to*only* filter lines when “guix package” is used but
> not when “guix build” by adding other port.

The next step here would be to not print a dot for each line but to
display a spinner instead, i.e. a sequence of characters that look like
a spinning animation.  For each line the animation could be advanced by
one (so it will spin really fast).

Danny previously suggested this implementation:

   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-patches/2017-07/msg00068.html

You may be able to take a part of that patch and adapt it.  The key here
is really: keep track of the animation position and use backspace to
delete the previously printed character before displaying the next.

If you don’t like the spinner animation you could also pick one of
these and try implementing them instead:

   https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2685435/cooler-ascii-spinners

Have fun!

--
Ricardo