guix-devel

Re: Guix trademarked by Express Logic

From: Jelle Licht
Subject: Re: Guix trademarked by Express Logic
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 23:37:35 +0100

mikadoZero <address@hidden> writes:

> Jelle Licht writes:
>> I really think that "software" is much too broad a category to consider
>> for a trademark clash in this case. From what I can see, there is barely
>> any overlap between our Guix and the GUIX product that Express Logic is
>> working on. This might just be my vocational bias in action as a
>> software engineer though, and of course; I Am Not A Lawyer.
>
> There was likely no overlap between Jade the free software project and
> Jade the company's offerings.  Regardless Jade the company forced Jade
> the free software project to rename itself.

It rather seems that under threat of litigation, the Jade project was
bullied into changing their name. I understand why the Jade maintainers
decided on the name change, but I think the wrong lesson to take home
from this story is to actively enable these litigation-happy companies
to continue this behaviour. Additionally, it seems Guix-the-project has
earlier mentions than GUIX-the-product online as well (but again, IANAL).