guix-devel

Re: Express Logic claims GUIX trademark

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Re: Express Logic claims GUIX trademark
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 10:10:54 +0100

Am 11.03.19 um 20:00 schrieb Tobias Geerinckx-Rice:
> It took me all of 20 seconds to find the actual GUIX trademark
> registration[1], so we can stop basing this discussion on regrettable
> typographical choices in press releases.
>
> It's 4 months old.

As Pjotr already stated: we should get in touch with the FSF to make
them file a case against this trademark. Also this might to so easy:

- Unfortunately we missed the opposition period (which is only 30 days
in the US, while in 3 Month Europa), which stated in November.

- The registration says: "First use 2014" and "Use in Commerce 2014".
Thus we need to proof we used "guix" earlier, e.g. using archive.org [1]

- We should also check for trademark registrations in other areas, e.g.
Europe, India, China.

- It might even be useful to invest ~300 € for registering GUIX as a
trademark in Europe.

[1]
<https://web.archive.org/web/20121225171214/http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/guix/>
archived 2012-12-25