guix-devel

Re: SANE / simple-scan working for anyone?

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: SANE / simple-scan working for anyone?
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2019 13:22:46 +0100

Jack,

Jack Hill wrote:
Mark,

I'm not Mark, but that's my cross to bear. I'll answer anyway since we share an ancient USB scanner and a reproducible OS.

Did you end up getting your scanning issue resolved?

Yes and no. I ended up doing all my scanning with the command-line ‘scanimage’ (and adding PNG support to it), and cropping with the GIMP where needed. Not ideal but it works reliably.

Simple Scan doesn't. It recognises my scanner (not a difficult job and SANE's to boot), but actually scanning (slowly) produces a black page, without moving the scanner head at all.

Sometimes Simple Scan will suddenly work *after* I've scanned something with ‘scanimage’ directly. Other times, it still won't.

XSANE (which isn't on master yet) just freezes as soon as I hit the ‘Scan’ button.

Both GUIs worked fine with network scanners.

You may have seem
my own scanning-related adventures over on help-guix [0] where I
discovered that adding the udev rules from sane-backends was
needed. The service definition that I used to add them is:

(simple-service 'sane-udev-rules udev-service-type (list sane-backends))

I found that looking at the output of `scanimage -L` from the
sane-backends package (yes there are user-facing tools in there ☺)
as both my user and root helpful.

Interesting. Here, being root makes no difference (and I can scan without sudo).

Kind regards,

T G-R