guix-devel

Re: Libre games that might be worth packaging :)

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Libre games that might be worth packaging :)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 11:17:54 +0100

Dan Frumin <address@hidden> writes:

>> Shouldn't we name this "dungeon-crawl-stone-soup"?
>>

> Possibly, but the official packages from crawl.develz.org are called `crawl'
> and `crawl-tiles'.

Maybe packagers use abbreviated names, often with underscores or simply
no word separator.

I think we should not follow what other packagers do, but rather what
the _users_ expect.  The full program name is much more certain to be
known to the wider audience rather than some abbreviation that is only
known to the set of developers / restricted community members.

Guix follows Lisp's "hyphen-separated words" convention.  I like it a
lot and I believe it to be vastly superior since it give packages
meaningful names.

"crawl" matches both "crawl" and "dungeon-crawl-stone-soup".  "dungeon
crawl stone soup" does not match "crawl".

At the end of the day, no need to restrict our wording if nothing forces
us to ;)

> Maybe it is good to add the abbreviation "DCSS" somewhere in the description
> tho?

If DCSS is popular, why not.

--
Pierre Neidhardt