guix-devel

Re: 06/15: gnu: wesnoth-server: Rename package to the-battle-for-wesnoth

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: 06/15: gnu: wesnoth-server: Rename package to the-battle-for-wesnoth-server.
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 15:20:01 +0100

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <address@hidden> writes:

> Pierre,
>
> address@hidden wrote:
>> gnu: wesnoth-server: Rename package to
>> the-battle-for-wesnoth-server.
>
> My fault for totally missing the review window, but could we at
> least drop the articles from the-long-package-names before they
> become too widespread?  (I'll defer to you on l-abbaye, tho'.)

In this case, "battle for wesnoth" sounds good too I think.

For some titles however, I think it would not make much sense to remove
the leading article, e.g. "The Witcher", "The Fall", "The Sims", etc.
(Well, none of those examples are free software.)

If we want a consistent rule, that would mean we stick to the official
names I think.  But maybe we don't need to be this consistent.

Finally, I think long names are not problematic in practice: we have
package completion from the shell, with Geiser, Emacs-Guix.el and Helm
System Packages.

Thoughts?

--
Pierre Neidhardt