guix-devel

Re: 06/15: gnu: wesnoth-server: Rename package to the-battle-for-wesnoth

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: 06/15: gnu: wesnoth-server: Rename package to the-battle-for-wesnoth-server.
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 18:53:03 +0100

Hello,

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 04:32:46PM +0100, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
> Sorry, I misunderstood the conclusion of the discussion: I thought that
> we would simply follow the package naming convention as per the manual.

I am confused about this statement. The naming convention speaks a bit
vaguely of "project name chosen upstream"; very often, this means the
tarball name. Now there is www.wesnoth.org, which distributes tarballs and
executable files called wesnoth.*. So I would argue that the upstream
name is "wesnoth" and would suggest to revert this change.

This is in a similar spirit to "gcc" for instance; we do not call it
"gnu-compiler-collection" either, although this is the long name used
on their project web page.

Andreas