guix-devel

Re: Let’s translate!

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: Let’s translate!
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2019 09:14:27 +0200

Le 13 avril 2019 03:56:31 GMT+02:00, Meiyo Peng <address@hidden> a écrit :
>Hi Ludovic,
>
>Ludovic Courtès writes:
>
>> Hello Guix!
>>
>>> A new POT file for textual domain 'guix-manual' has been made
>available
>>> to the language teams for translation.  It is archived as:
>>>

>https://translationproject.org/POT-files/guix-manual-1.0.0-pre1.pot
>>
>> Now’s the right time to translate Guix and the manual so that 1.0 is
>> available in your native language!
>>
>>   https://translationproject.org/domain/guix.html
>>   https://translationproject.org/domain/guix-packages.html
>>   https://translationproject.org/domain/guix-manual.html
>
>I can translate the Guix manual into Chinese if no one else is willing
>to do so.  But I don't have much time and will probably miss the
>deadline for Guix 1.0.
>
>I have no previous experience with i18n.  What should I know in order
>translate the Guix manual?  How do I edit the ".pot" file?  Is there an
>emacs package for the job?
>
>--
>Meiyo Peng
>https://www.pengmeiyu.com/

Hi!

I'm glal you're willing to translate to your native language! So get started,
you need to register with the translation project for your language. You do not
need to sign the waiver form for guix, so it should be rather quick.

To start working on translations, you'll have to download the pot file from the
TP. Do not use the one in our repository. Then I know there is an emacs mode
for gettext, but I don't know how to use it. You can also use poedit which is
easy to use and can import pot files. In any case you'll have to produce a po
file, which is very similar to the pot file, except for some headers. I also
started developping offlate (https://framagit.org/tyreunom/offlate) that can
automate fetching from the TP and sending to them, but it's not as good as I'd
want.

Once you have translated, you'll have to send your work to the TP robot. You
can do that even if your work is only partial.

I think the priority is to translate the guix domain first, before the manual.
Make sure noone is listed as responsible for the translation on the TP and you
should be good.

Thank you!