guix-devel

Re: Deliver important Guix changes to users, please

From: Amin Bandali
Subject: Re: Deliver important Guix changes to users, please
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2019 23:55:23 -0400

Hi Ludo’, all,

On 2019-04-15  2:56 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

[...]

> ‘guix pull’ already provides high-level “package news”, but I agree it’d
> be nice to have a way to convey “system news” and perhaps free-form
> messages like Debian’s change logs.
>
> I suppose we could use some specially-formatted Git commits to pass
> messages to users.  I’m afraid it would be hard to get those messages
> translated.
>
> Thoughts?

That’s an interesting idea.  Another alternative, perhaps, could be
having a “news” or “breaking changes” section/topic on the Guix blog,
ideally with a dedicated atom feed, where one could follow changes with
drastic change in system and/or package behaviour, or ones potentially
requiring a manual intervention of sorts.  Both Parabola and Hyperbola
have that section on their website, with latest news shown on the front
page.

Thoughts?

Best,
amin