guix-devel

Re: Deliver important Guix changes to users, please

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Deliver important Guix changes to users, please
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2019 20:19:26 +0200

Ludo', Guix,

As your friendly neighbourhood update bot, I read a lot of change logs. The worst are the one-log text file with ’lol use git now, change logs are obsolete!1’. Utterly clueless, distressingly common.

The best ones are usually called NEWS for some reason (go GNU!) and are manually maintained, in sync with the code changes but not forced on top of them; using git but not abusing it.

Ludovic Courtès wrote:
I suppose we could use some specially-formatted Git commits to pass messages to users. I’m afraid it would be hard to get those messages
translated.

I beg you not to do this, even as fodder for a friendly front end. Just use a structured text file. Add dates. Affected packages. Metadata. Hell, use sexps if you like. Fix typos/add caveats to old news items when needed, not through errata commits. Don't confuse git log with a log like some people confuse git blame with comments.

That is all,

T G-R