guix-devel

Re: Deliver important Guix changes to users, please

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Deliver important Guix changes to users, please
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2019 23:38:13 +0200

Ludo',

Ludovic Courtès wrote:
Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <address@hidden> skribis:

Ludovic Courtès wrote:
I suppose we could use some specially-formatted Git commits to pass
messages to users.  I’m afraid it would be hard to get those
messages
translated.

I beg you not to do this, even as fodder for a friendly front
end. Just use a structured text file.  Add dates.  Affected
packages. Metadata. Hell, use sexps if you like. Fix typos/add caveats to old news items when needed, not through errata commits. Don't confuse git log with a log like some people confuse git blame
with comments.

The interesting part here is that commits are anchored in the version control history. Thus, you could easily tell whether a news item is
relevant or not.

Oh, sure.

To clarify: I'm pro storing the news items in the repository. In fact I think it's a bad idea to keep it anywhere else (such as the Web site, but by all means generate a pretty news feed from guix.git on there).

I just think it should be a regular file. Don't shove News metadata into the commit message. When it makes sense, update the News file(s) in the same commit as the code — as is done for other documentation, which is what this is.

Kind regards,

T G-R