guix-devel

Re: 02/02: gnu: next: Compress the executable.

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: 02/02: gnu: next: Compress the executable.
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2019 00:01:43 +0900

Hello Pierre!

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> True.
>
> I've been using Btrfs for my data for a little while and I'm very happy
> with it.
>
> I wonder how Btrfs fares for a Guix system.  In many ways, Guix
> supersedes many of the features of Btrfs (snapshots and deduplication in
> particular).  So I wonder if it's not redundant and possibly incurs a
> waste of energy.
>
> What's your experience, Maxim?

I like that Btrfs allows to set different namespaces (think of LVM
logical volumes) on the fly as subvolumes.  I use snapshots as a mean of
backups, (using the btrfs send/receive mechanism to backup the snapshots
(differentially) to external storage).

I haven't noticed much slow down (if at all?), and the 'lzo' compression
keeps the /gnu/store size 30% smaller or so.

That sums it for now, I think.

HTH!

Maxim