guix-devel

Re: btrfs and Guix features [was: gnu: next: Compress the executable.]

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: btrfs and Guix features [was: gnu: next: Compress the executable.]
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2019 21:58:29 -0400

Hello again,

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Maxim!
>
>> I've used a full backup to migrate from hard drives in the past; it's
>> actually faster to sync drives than fetch packages off the internet, and
>> my system is exactly in the same *state* as it was left (including those
>> bookmarks in Icecat, those cached emails, etc.).
>>
>> Keep in mind that multiple subvolumes can be used to hold your 'home' or
>> other data partitons, making these individually easy to snapshot and
>> backup.
>
> I personally prefer to restore the home data (bookmarks, emails...) in a
> functional, declarative manner (for now via scripts, later maybe via
> Shepherd user services if I find time / money to work on this).  It's
> more work, but if we get user services we could factor this work so that
> everyone benefits from it.

I agree with you, that declarative is nice; but it's still no substitute
for a backup IMO.  I'm already using a private git + GNU Stow to deploy
my dot files, and have been meaning to try the Guix Home Manager [0]
Guix extension (via a channel) by Julien Lepiller.

[0]  https://framagit.org/tyreunom/guix-home-manager

Maxim