guix-devel

Re: btrfs and Guix features [was: gnu: next: Compress the executable.]

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: btrfs and Guix features [was: gnu: next: Compress the executable.]
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2019 19:48:04 +0200

Pierre,

Pierre Neidhardt 写道:
Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <address@hidden> writes:

Generations also don't allow you to btrfs send/receive, which I think was Maxim's main point. If there's another KISSy way to back up whole Guix Systems over the Internet, I don't know of it (rsync can't, nor can borg or restic or…, and everything else is too much work :o).

Question: What is the point of backing up a Guix system if the
config.scm suffices?

I did blatantly invite that question, didn't I :-)

Is there something that is not contained in config.scm?

So. much. state.

‘Oh, right, /etc/networkmanager's gone now. Let me get my notebook with passwords. Oh, that reminds me: all user passwords are empty, have to change that ASAP. Phew. Oh, I have to reinstall my printer, good thing I have time for that while people are angrily calling me about deadlines. What's this about changed SSH host ke—’

That's trivial stuff I thought of while writing, and it already adds up to minutes of human work (=downtime). All at the most inconvenient and stressful time. Now multiply that by the number of things I forgot.

I don't consider a back-up that can't be restored while drunk a back-up.

[…] time, of course! ;)

I've learnt the hard way over the years that, for me, nothing else matters.

♪,

T G-R