guix-devel

Re: Towards reproducibly Jupyter notebooks with Guix-Jupyter

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Towards reproducibly Jupyter notebooks with Guix-Jupyter
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 10:59:08 +0200

Hi Ludo and Pierre-Antoine,

Congrats for these piece of work!
To me, it is very funny that all the folks find Jupyter amazing when
it is a worse version of Org-mode (troll troll) ;-)
One example of many others, the Notebook are not human readable (I
mean, I am not fluent in JSON reading.)
Well, the hype will always appear to me weird.
Whatever!

I will give a try.
Just two random thoughts.

Is the UI ;;guix aligned with the CLI UI ($ guix)?
For example ;;guix environment R <- r-foo
instead of guix environment --ad-hoc r r-foo --pure (or something like that)
Or ;;guix pin <commit>
instead of guix pull --commit=<commit> (or something like that)
It should be confusing.

Why not use the same syntax for ;;guix than for $ guix?

People enjoy Jupyter Notebook because they are "portable".
Some friends use them as Numercial Lab in class. And the students can
replay the lab at home, tweak some cells and see what happens. Or they
sometimes provide a Notebook backbone with some cells missing and the
students have to complete them as homework.
So the "pip install" and "conda" way is easy because it works (almost)
out-the-box in these cases. On Windows, Mac.
Yes, we are not talking about Reproducible Science in this case. But
one ring to rull them all. :-)

Why not add a kind of ;;guix pack at the end of the Notebook to
generate a container image, for example Docker.
Then the student can just run this Docker wherever they wants.

Thank you for all this work!

All the best,
simon