guix-devel

Re: Towards reproducibly Jupyter notebooks with Guix-Jupyter

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Towards reproducibly Jupyter notebooks with Guix-Jupyter
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 12:07:23 +0200

Hello!

(And hi! Pierre-Antoine.  :-))

zimoun <address@hidden> skribis:

> Congrats for these piece of work!
> To me, it is very funny that all the folks find Jupyter amazing when
> it is a worse version of Org-mode (troll troll) ;-)
> One example of many others, the Notebook are not human readable (I
> mean, I am not fluent in JSON reading.)
> Well, the hype will always appear to me weird.

I’m very much into hype so I won’t comment.  :-)

> Is the UI ;;guix aligned with the CLI UI ($ guix)?
> For example ;;guix environment R <- r-foo
> instead of guix environment --ad-hoc r r-foo --pure (or something like that)
> Or ;;guix pin <commit>
> instead of guix pull --commit=<commit> (or something like that)
> It should be confusing.

I think it’s fine to have a simplified interface.  After all, it’s not a
CLI, and it has a more focused goal.  Also, I was thinking that
eventually we might be able to use Jupyter widgets here and there
instead of text, though I’m not sure what that could look like.

> Why not add a kind of ;;guix pack at the end of the Notebook to
> generate a container image, for example Docker.
> Then the student can just run this Docker wherever they wants.

That’s a very good idea!  We’d need to think about what that entails,
but it sounds like a great feature for the 0.2.0.  :-)

Thanks for your feedback and ideas!

Ludo’.