guix-devel

Re: Towards reproducibly Jupyter notebooks with Guix-Jupyter

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Towards reproducibly Jupyter notebooks with Guix-Jupyter
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 16:52:33 +0200

Hi Konrad!

Konrad Hinsen <address@hidden> skribis:

> This looks very good, even though I will probably have to rework my
> reproducible-research-tutorial-with-guix tutorial now ;-)

Heheh.  :-)

> I haven't looked at this yet in any detail, but I wonder how you deal
> with Jupyter pluging (e.g. widgets). For reproducibility, they ought to
> be taken from the notebook's specific environment, rather than from the
> environment from which Jupyter and the Guix kernel are taken. But this
> looks difficult to do, given Jupyter's messy architecture.

It’s an area that needs more testing, as they say.  ;-)

That reminds me of an interesting issue regarding
bitwise-reproducibility that was raised on the Reproducible Builds
mailing list:

https://lists.reproducible-builds.org/pipermail/rb-general/2019-September/001657.html

> It would be nice in fact to adapt the ideas behind Guix-Jupyter (and
> perhaps parts of the code) to Org-mode. Some integration with Emacs will
> be necessary to tell Org-mode to start Python etc. from the Guix
> environment.

I’d love to see that happen!  I thought perhaps we could trick Alex Kost
or Pierre Neidhardt to hack on that, let’s see.  :-)

Thanks for your feedback,
Ludo’.