guix-devel

Re: Joint statement on the GNU Project

From: František Kučera
Subject: Re: Joint statement on the GNU Project
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 00:24:17 +0200

Dne 09. 10. 19 v 10:56 Andy Wingo napsal(a):
> https://wingolog.org/archives/2019/10/08/thoughts-on-rms-and-gnu
>
> the best thing that he could do for GNU is to stop pretending to run
> things, to instead declare victory and retire to an emeritus role.

Of course, one day he will have to retire and have to pass on his
follower, who should continue on that uncompromising journey.

But today is a wrong day for such step and asking him to do it now is a
very bad thing which undermines free software movement. Today he needs
our support, regardless your opinions on his leadership or other various
topics. If he would have done it two months ago, it would be OK. If he
would do it year or two later, it would be OK. But not now.

FSF (and thus also GNU) was under massive attack from the outside. Lot
of nasty things happened during past weeks, lot of lies and really bad
journalism (or rather „journalism“), disgusting comments on Twitter and
other social networks. It is a pure Evil and we must not retreat. FSF
must prove that it is an independent and sovereign organization and
reject such attacks and reject such requests and threats. Only this way
it can preserve its moral credit and stay trustworthy organization.

Franta