guix-devel

Re: Loading modules built using linux-module-build-system

From: Jelle Licht
Subject: Re: Loading modules built using linux-module-build-system
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 17:30:34 +0200

ping :-)

Jelle Licht <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Guix,
>
> Not too long ago, the linux-module-build-system was introduced. I ran
> into some code in the wild written by Alex Griffin that defines a
> shepherd service that does the following for a given kernel-module
> package:
>
> - set the LINUX_MODULE_DIRECTORY environment variable to
>   <out>/lib/modules
> - call modprobe on the .ko file (without .ko)
>
> I have verified this way of loading modules to work, but was wondering
> whether we should rather provide a `out-of-tree-kernel-module' service
> of sorts to do this.

I saw a contribution for a kernel module built using
linux-module-build-system today, and I have to wonder, how are people
making use of these modules on their Guix System installation? I
currently use a hacked-together shepherd one-shot service that simply
calls modprobe, but was wondering whether folks have a nicer solution
for this.

> [snip]
> Is there a way by which a service can refer to the
> e.g. `operating-system-kernel' of the operating-system it is embedded
> in?

I actually figured this one out: As long as your service snippet
is directly embedded in the operating-system declaration, one can use:
`(operating-system-kernel this-operating-system)'.

- Jelle