guix-devel

Re: Loading modules built using linux-module-build-system

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: Loading modules built using linux-module-build-system
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 20:27:33 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 00:50:10 +0200
Jelle Licht <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have verified this way of loading modules to work, but was wondering
> whether we should rather provide a `out-of-tree-kernel-module' service
> of sorts to do this.
>
> To resolve out-of-tree kernel module dependencies, I guess we would need
> to construct a union of all outputs so we can pass along one value for
> LINUX_MODULE_DIRECTORY that contains all out-of-tree modules that might
> be needed for one invocation of modprobe.

That sounds like a strange special-casing of out-of-tree modules.

What prevents us from presenting the union
as /run/current-system/kernel/lib/modules in the first place?
That would allow everyone, including all programs on the system and the initrd,
to use all modules.

Them being in-tree or out-of-tree is a technical detail that should be of no
technical consequence to anyone.

I suggest to add a field to the operating-system declaration that
lists all the packages that contain loadable kernel modules.  We could
also just make operating-system-kernel be a list--which would be the
most direct way I guess.  After all, "the" kernel consists of all those
modules and the zImage--also in RAM in kernel space while using the stuff.

That said, extensibility would be nice--if services could request what
kernel modules to add to the operating-system.

P.S.

How's that supposed to work with the Hurd?
I'd guess they are even more modular than this.
If we add kernel modularity, might as well also take into account the Hurd.