guix-devel

Re: Help needed packaging rust-cbindgen, a dependency of IceCat 68

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Help needed packaging rust-cbindgen, a dependency of IceCat 68
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 15:56:42 -0400

Hi Efraim,

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> writes:

> Efraim Flashner <address@hidden> writes:
>> Here's what I have for rust-cbindgen based more-or-less on my
>> re-imagining of the cargo-build-system and the rust inputs.
>
> Thank you very much for this!  Notably, I see that every package in your
> source has a proper 'license' field, and that there are *far* fewer
> dependencies here than 'guix import crate -r cbindgen' pulled in.
>
> What's the feasibility of turning this file into a set of commits that
> could be applied to 'master' in the next day or two?  If that could be
> done, it would be tremendously helpful.  I think it's okay if these
> "re-imagined" Rust packages are all 'hidden' for now and put in a
> separate module, to avoid breaking anything else or interfering with the
> packages in crates.io.
>
> Would you like to do it?

I looked again, and I see that you _already_ marked all of the packages
'hidden' except for 'rust-cbindgen' itself.  Perfect!  Somehow I managed
to miss that on my first perusal of the code.

The only additional suggestion I'd make is to change 'define-public' to
'define' for all of these packages except for 'rust-cbindgen', to avoid
possible conflicts in modules that import both 'cbindgen.scm' and
'crates-io.scm'.

How about simply putting this file in (gnu packages rust-cbindgen) for
now, with the file header comment changed to match other files in Guix,
and with the trailing 'rust-cbindgen' at the bottom removed.

Would you like to do this?  If not, I could do it.

Thanks again!  This is a great help and an enormous relief to me.

     Mark