guix-devel

Re: gnu: python: Update to 3.8.0.

From: Tanguy Le Carrour
Subject: Re: gnu: python: Update to 3.8.0.
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 14:51:04 +0200

Hi Hartmut!

Le 10/23, Hartmut Goebel a écrit :
> Am 23.10.19 um 11:11 schrieb Tanguy Le Carrour:
> > Python 3.8.0 was released on October the 14th [1].
> > What would be the proper way to package it for Guix?! Add a new public
> > variable `python-3.8` and make `python-3` and `python` point to it? Would
> > `python-3.7` go away?!
>
> I'm not convinced to make Python 3.8 the default Python3 (and the
> default Python) yet. Many packages might not yet support Python 3.8.

Thanks for your answer! I guess this question is relevant to any "major"
package release (even if, in thise case, it's a minor version), not only
to Python. And, I actually have no idea how to handle this!

I was just thinking that, 3.8 being out there, I'd better start working
with it!

Is it possible to package it and make it available, but not to make it
the default python? When would be a good time to make the switch?!

Regards,

--
Tanguy