guix-devel

Re: gnu: python: Update to 3.8.0.

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: gnu: python: Update to 3.8.0.
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2019 00:08:27 +0100

Tanguy Le Carrour <address@hidden> writes:

> Le 10/30, Tanguy Le Carrour a écrit :
>>  2- To make it work I had to deactivate 4 tests. There was already a
>>     patch doing something similar ("This fails for unknown reasons on Guix"),
>>     but I'm pretty sure it would be better to work on fixing the problems,
>> right?

Most of them seemed to use KeyboardInterrups, which do not work in the
build container (I suppose because /dev/stdin is not a TTY?).

> Oh, oh… what I forgot to mention is that… it's a shameless copy/paste of
> the python-3.7 package and it would deserve a rewrite! Something like
> `(inherit python-3.7)` and a modification of [source](patches) and
> [source](snippet). But I'm not sure how to do that!

Origins can also be inherited:

(source (origin
         (inherit (package-source python-3.7))
         (uri ...)
         (sha256 ...)
         (patches (append (origin-patches (package-source python-3.7))
                          (search-patches "python-3.8-adjust-tests.patch")))))

That would inherit the snippet and any other properties that are not
explicitly overridden.

HTH,
Marius