guix-devel

Re: [Python] pypy3 integration

From: Lars-Dominik Braun
Subject: Re: [Python] pypy3 integration
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 08:46:57 +0200

Hi,

> pypy3 works somewhat well for me already in this regard:
indeed, you’re right.

This will probably break for some packages, because python provides
Python 3.8 whereas pypy3 provides Python 3.6.  (They’ve always lagged
behind and given that we’re going towards 3.10, well…) One example are
packages depending on importlib.resources, which only became available
with Python 3.7. Unfortunately this includes the widely-used pytest (or
rather: its dependency python-pluggy).

Also Python’s C ABI is not stable[1] and thus extensions compiled for 3.8
can fail in unpredictable ways with 3.6. And looking at python-numpy,
it seems they won’t even load.

So, does this justify creating pypy3-* packages?

Cheers,
Lars

[1] https://docs.python.org/3/c-api/stable.html