guix-devel

Re: [Python] pypy3 integration

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: [Python] pypy3 integration
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 12:39:39 +0200

Dear Lars,

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 at 08:46, Lars-Dominik Braun <lars@6xq.net> wrote:

>> pypy3 works somewhat well for me already in this regard:
> indeed, you’re right.

Well, python-package and pypy-package would not be compiled with the
same VM.  So the performances (optimizations) are not necessary the
sames.

For example, it is the same situation with emacs-package “compiled” with
emacs and run with emacs-next.  Even if the bytecode is stable, there is
no guarantee.

> This will probably break for some packages, because python provides
> Python 3.8 whereas pypy3 provides Python 3.6.  (They’ve always lagged
> behind and given that we’re going towards 3.10, well…) One example are
> packages depending on importlib.resources, which only became available
> with Python 3.7. Unfortunately this includes the widely-used pytest (or
> rather: its dependency python-pluggy).
>
> Also Python’s C ABI is not stable[1] and thus extensions compiled for 3.8
> can fail in unpredictable ways with 3.6. And looking at python-numpy,
> it seems they won’t even load.
>
> So, does this justify creating pypy3-* packages?

>From my point of view, yes.

All the best,
simon