guix-devel

Re: [Python] pypy3 integration

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [Python] pypy3 integration
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 12:48:31 +0200

Hello,

Lars-Dominik Braun <lars@6xq.net> skribis:

>> pypy3 works somewhat well for me already in this regard:
> indeed, you’re right.
>
> This will probably break for some packages, because python provides
> Python 3.8 whereas pypy3 provides Python 3.6.  (They’ve always lagged
> behind and given that we’re going towards 3.10, well…) One example are
> packages depending on importlib.resources, which only became available
> with Python 3.7. Unfortunately this includes the widely-used pytest (or
> rather: its dependency python-pluggy).
>
> Also Python’s C ABI is not stable[1] and thus extensions compiled for 3.8
> can fail in unpredictable ways with 3.6. And looking at python-numpy,
> it seems they won’t even load.

Also, what about .pyc files?  Does pypy create compatible .pyc files?

> So, does this justify creating pypy3-* packages?

It probably does.  But do we want to mirror all the ‘python-’ packages,
or just some of them?  It seems overkill to mirror all of them.

Perhaps we could have a package transformation option to turn a
‘python-build-system’ package into a pypy package?

Thanks,
Ludo’, who knows little about Python.