guix-devel

Re: Freezing ‘core-updates’ soon?

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Freezing ‘core-updates’ soon?
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 18:23:25 -0700

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hello Guix!
>
> What about finally merging that ‘core-updates’ branch?  :-)
>
> The main things to decide on are:
>
>   • Upgrading to GCC 10?  I know Marius has spent time looking at it and
>     fixing build failures caused by the upgrade.  Can we do it?
>
>   • Reduced binary seeds—anything new?  My understanding is that the
>     reduced binary seed bootstrap now works on ARM, but that we were
>     waiting on a Mes release to merge those bits.  Janneke, Danny?
>
>   • Simplified package inputs—I’ll keep working on that, and most of the
>     work can be done without a world rebuild, so it’s not a blocker IMO.
>
> Anything else?  Any patches pending review?
>
> It would be great to freeze within a week (that is, stop world-rebuild
> changes) with the goal of merging within a six weeks (end of July).
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Ludo’.

I'm taking some time to test out powerpc64le-linux on core-updates.  At
the very least, I'd like to be able to "guix pull" on core-updates and
use the pulled guix to build some basic stuff.  Last time I tested this
was when we were using gcc-8, so I expect some things are different now.

I would also like to go go back and remove some of the conditionals that
we added in order to support powerpc64le-linux on master.  Then we could
delete the wip-ppc64le branch for good.

--
Chris