guix-devel

Re: Preservation of Guix 2021-10-22

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Preservation of Guix 2021-10-22
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 09:52:59 +0200

Hi Timothy,

On Fri, 22 Oct 2021 at 21:09, Timothy Sample <samplet@ngyro.com> wrote:

> As promised, here is the updated Preservation of Guix Report:
>
>     https://ngyro.com/pog-reports/2021-10-22/

Cool!

> I didn’t add the breakdowns that zimoun suggested (yet), but here is a
> bit of extra information.  Of the missing fixed-output derivations, we
> have:
>
>     git      376
>     tar+gz  3092
>     total   3468
>
> If we limit ourselves to the most recent commit (258a27e):
>
>     git      217
>     tar+gz    78
>     total    295

How can I get the list of these 376+217 packages?  Because it appears to
me easy to send a save request for them. :_)

> My guess (and that’s all it is!) is that before “sources.json”, a lot of
> tarballs slipped through the cracks.  Now, most of the tarballs are
> getting archived via “sources.json”, but since the Git references are
> not, there are several that are being missed.

Yeah, probably because “guix lint” is not systematically run by
submitter or reviewer.

The Data Service is running linter [1] and one can explore the report
[2].  However, I do not remember if the ’archival’ checker is run.

1: <https://data.guix.gnu.org/revision/4a0cd6297af35a36e9f492bb234fc110d6423a4d>
2:
<https://data.guix.gnu.org/revision/4a0cd6297af35a36e9f492bb234fc110d6423a4d/lint-warnings>

Cheers,