guix-devel

Statement from the Guix maintainers regarding recent events

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Statement from the Guix maintainers regarding recent events
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2022 10:25:25 -0500

Hi everyone,

Given the recent action from one community member on this list that led
to multiple people feeling hurt or uneasy about the whole situation, we,
the Guix maintainers collective, would like to reaffirm our commitment
to protect our community against such actions.

The Guix community has historically been a very inclusive, welcoming and
safe harbor for everyone to enjoy hacking together, and we'd like it to
remain that way.  The Code of Conduct that everyone interacting in our
community implicitly agrees to follow has demonstrated its usefulness in
keeping the (thankfully rare) abusive actors at bay.

To reduce the chance of a similar situation reoccurring in the future,
the Guix maintainers have acted on the following:

* The person who lacked judgment and caused hurt by repeatedly pushing
  their exclusionary views onto our community have been removed from the
  trusted list, meaning each of their messages will now have to go
  through moderation.

* Our Code of Conduct copy has been upgraded to its latest version.

* A header to the Code of Conduct now mentions any
  suggestions/discussion with regard to the Code of Conduct should now
  go through the Guix maintainers rather than in the public fora.

We hope that we as a community can grow stronger and more united in the
aftermath of this regrettable event.

Sincerely,

Maxim
On behalf of the Guix maintainers