guix-devel

Re: Creating subtitles for the Guix Days videos!

From: Tanguy LE CARROUR
Subject: Re: Creating subtitles for the Guix Days videos!
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 09:08:01 +0100

Hi Matt,

Quoting Matt (2022-03-02 00:18:42)

>  ---- On Tue, 01 Mar 2022 09:36:19 -0500 Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu>
> wrote ----
>  > I'm looking for volunteers to create English subtitles for the Guix Days
>  > talks. It would be great for people who are not very good with spoken
>  > English but who can still understand text.
>  > […]
>
> Aegisub kept crashing when setting hotkeys, but I was able to set some up
> that make navigation easier.
>
> In the "subtitle edit box", I added:
> Alt-P audio/play/line
> Ctrl-N time/next
> Ctrl-P time/prev
>
> This is allows me to navigate by lines, play the audio for that section, and
> then press Return to "commit" what I wrote for the subtitle.

Sorry to hear that it was painful for you! :-(

For, what it's worth, here is how it went for me…

I started before someone added the instructions on the pad, so I went
straight to watching a tuto on YT:
« Aegisub tutorial - Timing Subtitles - FAST METHOD »

The guy suggested to first do the transcription and then the video sync'.
This is what I did using the good old Vim. Took me 1h30 for 17min of video.

Once the transcription file was loaded into Aegisub I discovered that the
keybings were right under my right hand fingers! I use a French Bépo
layout, and I can access D-S-G-F with only 2 fingers! 8-)

This allowed me to use my mouse (I use my mouse with my left hand) to
move the start (right click) and end (left click) of a section.

Muscle memory did the rest! s…d…left click…d…g *ad nauseam* :-)

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it was the best evening of my life,
but it was not the most painful 3 hours either! … actually, the fact
that the talk was super interesting and the speaker's English was really good
helped a lot! Thanks Lars-Dominik! :-)

--
Tanguy