guix-devel

Re: Package's inputs for developer?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Package's inputs for developer?
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 17:00:36 +0100

Hi,

> I guess this is the correct way of doing it or perhaps I should put gdb
> and lcov in the base-native-inputs?.  But I was thinking that perhaps
> something like `(developer-inputs (list gdb lcov))` would be better,
> since these inputs are not stricly necessary for building the package.

Well, this list of 'developer-inputs' seems a personal choice or could
be considered as 'recommended'.  Well, I am not convinced it would be
useful but maybe the right level is to add something to 'properties'.

Anyway.

Usually my workflow is:

    guix shell gdb lcov -D my-package

and if it is often the same set of packages, I use a manifest.

Cheers,
simon