guix-devel

Re: Package's inputs for developer?

From: Olivier Dion
Subject: Re: Package's inputs for developer?
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 11:45:12 -0500

On Tue, 08 Mar 2022, zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I guess this is the correct way of doing it or perhaps I should put gdb
>> and lcov in the base-native-inputs?.  But I was thinking that perhaps
>> something like `(developer-inputs (list gdb lcov))` would be better,
>> since these inputs are not stricly necessary for building the package.
>
> Well, this list of 'developer-inputs' seems a personal choice or could
> be considered as 'recommended'.  Well, I am not convinced it would be
> useful but maybe the right level is to add something to 'properties'.

I had more a recommended workflow in mind.  For example, I have a bunch
of scripts under `tools/` for compiling and testing the project within
Emacs.  And they all use these developer inputs.  I find this useful if
for example someone wants to quickly debug the program from source
without searching too much on how to do so.  Just fire your text editor
and voila.

>     guix shell gdb lcov -D my-package
>
> and if it is often the same set of packages, I use a manifest.

Yes this is what I also but I wrapped it in a script.  And how do you
indicate the "-D" in your manifest?

--
Olivier Dion
Polymtl