guix-devel

Re: Package's inputs for developer?

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: Package's inputs for developer?
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 18:06:06 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, 06 Mar 2022 11:19:58 -0500
Olivier Dion via "Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution."
<guix-devel@gnu.org> wrote:

> I often find my self using inheritance of package to add native-inputs
> that are not stricly necessary for building the project, but are used
> for developement purpose:

It's very common to require extra tools for development, but those are
anything but standardized. In fact, finding elusive bugs is very much
helped by using different compiler versions, compiler vendors etc.

So I don't think adding those (which?) directly in the base package is a good
idea.

Better:

$ guix shell -f guix.scm gdb@11.1 lcov