guix-devel

Re: Building a software toolchain that works

From: Ryan Prior
Subject: Re: Building a software toolchain that works
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 15:28:34 +0000

On Wednesday, March 16th, 2022 at 2:02 PM, Josselin Poiret <dev@jpoiret.xyz>
wrote:

> Let me chime in on a specific point.
>[...]
> I don't think I would've written these patches without Guix's help.

This is CRUCIAL to Guix's value proposition: by abstracting away so much of the
incidental complexity of software, Guix enables a nimble, carefree mode of
hacking where you'll create and improve software that would never have been
worth the trouble otherwise.

Proposals like David's `guix contribute` play on the strength of Guix as an
enabling technology. That's exactly the kind of thing I meant when I wrote
"double down." How can I encourage the improvement & implementation of such
proposals? A few notions:

a. My Guile isn't strong enough to put together a proof-of-concept in Guix as a
solo effort. I might be able to write a PoC in concert with a more experienced
Guiler. We could schedule some strategy & pair programming sessions to get
something on track.

b. I could work on a PoC using a language I'm better trained with (elisp, Ruby
and JavaScript are my three strongest languages probably.) I don't know how
that would be received by the Guix commons, I've felt discouraged in the past
to extend Guix unless it's in Guile but perhaps that's a false anxiety.

c. I could also provide some funding if somebody has time & skills to create a
PoC and just needs the financial incentive. If this is you, reach out.

I've been pleased to see ideas resonate in this thread. It makes me believe
many of us have some form of this thought in our heads and that by socializing
we can bring something fresh to the free software world. What are the next
steps?