guix-devel

Guix as a system vs as an end-user dev tool (re: Building a software too

From: zimoun
Subject: Guix as a system vs as an end-user dev tool (re: Building a software toolchain that works)
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:21:07 +0100

Hi,

> Technically, I think we could use a similar approach to the Docker for
> Desktop system: a "Guix for Desktop" installs software to create and
> manage a minimal Guix System virtual machine which automatically updates
> and reconfigures itself, requiring no manual administration by the
> end-user. And it would install a Guix client that connects to the Guix
> daemon running in the VM using a shared socket, enabling users to
> incorporate Guix transparently into their workflows.

Today, Guix provides a script that allows to install on any foreign
Linux distribution.  Somehow, it is already “Guix for Desktop”, no? ;-)

Guix provides a “nightly“ VM.  And, IIRC, Guix is also available via
upstream Gnome boxes. Somehow, it is already “Guix for Desktop”, no? ;-)

What do you have in mind for smoothing the workflow of end-user running
Guix?  I agree that things are lacking for more adoption but I miss what
you would have in mind with “Guix for Desktop”.

Could you elaborate?

Cheers,
simon