guix-devel

Windows Subsystem for Linux

From: zimoun
Subject: Windows Subsystem for Linux
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:02:56 +0100

Hi,

> I run Guix including GUI applications from Windows via WSL2 (Windows
> Subsystem for Linux). It may help some to try it out if this setup was
> easier and more documented, though I suppose that is somewhat prevented
> to go via official channels by the FSDG guidelines.

Cool!  I knew that Guix via WSL2 was possible but I was not aware that
it just works for a daily usage. :-)

Yeah, document it via one Cookbook recipe would be great, IMHO.

About FSDG, the arguments are exactly the same as GNU Emacs on
Windows. :-) No?  I mean, GNU Emacs provides a full port on Windows and
such port is available on the same side as other platforms on their
website [1].  The rationale [2]:

        The purpose of the GNU system is to give users the freedom that
        proprietary software takes away from its users. Proprietary
        operating systems (like other proprietary programs) are an
        injustice, and we aim for a world in which they do not exist.

        To improve the use of proprietary systems is a misguided
        goal. Our aim, rather, is to eliminate them. We include support
        for some proprietary systems in GNU Emacs in the hope that
        running Emacs on them will give users a taste of freedom and
        thus lead them to free themselves.

would also make sense for GNU Guix, no?

1: <https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/>
2: <https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/download.html#nonfree>

Cheers,
simon

(Parenthesis, if we are picky or finicky, Guix on Windows would be about
the package manager and not the distribution, thus FSDG would not apply
here, right? ;-) Closing parenthesis.)