guix-devel

Re: Removing #:skip-build? from the crate importer?

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: Removing #:skip-build? from the crate importer?
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 21:14:09 +0200

Liliana Marie Prikler schreef op do 31-03-2022 om 21:07 [+0200]:
> Hi Maxime,
>
> similar discussions have been had in the past, but thanks for raising
> them again.  As far as I'm aware, the "consensus" – if it can be called
> such – is that due to Rust packages often being a giant nothing burger
> both in terms of what they actually do and in what can be used for
> subsequent builds, but still generating a lot of hot air literally when
> evaluated on CI, we ought to skip the build in intermediate packages.

I was not aware that it has been discussed in the past ,thanks.

> There are a few counter-proposals.  One suggestion that has been
> raised, but not yet implemented, would be to make it so that build
> results can actually be reused.  This is the most promising
> conceptually, but from what I can gather from those working on it might
> not be that easy to pull off.

Yes, that would be nice.  Are there already some concrete patches that
can be tested?  I know there are some (ideas for?) patches to move
development-inputs->native-inputs but I don't think I've seen any
patches for actually reusing build results yet ...

Greetings,
Maxime